Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The "Girls Gone Wild" Slumber Party








As my good friend, Greta, put it - "It's a shame when women in their ??'s and ??'s (and, no, I do not mean their '20s and 30s') have to get together for a SLUMBER PARTY. Of course she was kidding because what better excuse for three "old" (and by that I mean a really LONG association) friends to get together for a major gab-fest. So on Monday evening (January 5), Rosie and Greta arrived at Casa Hammond for a date of dinner and a sleep-over.

It was chilly, rainy and the "hill" was socked over with fog, so I decided comfort food was the way to go. Dinner was Indonesian chicken with coconut rice and pea pods - but the dessert was where the real comfort came in. A few days ago while going through my recipes, I stumbled upon an old one that my mom used to make all the time but I hadn't tasted it in years. It's called "Cherry Delight" cake, is super easy to make and if you like regular cherries, it's delicious. So - following in Alyssa's lovely footsteps - I took some pictures of the cake. PLUS - it gave me an opportunity to use my new cake plate that Alyssa gave me for Christmas. We three "Ya-Ya Sisters" had a relaxing evening of girl talk and TV (Planet Earth in high-def Blue-Ray) and the next morning we picked up the conversation where we left off. I made a "comfort food" breakfast (sticking with the theme) - an apple pancake that went into the oven, the world's biggest blackberries and chicken sausage, which was not only yummy, it had to be more healthy than the pork type - at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

We had great fun - proving that old friends are still just the greatest. Rosie and Greta stayed until around 6pm - and I don't think we'd have ever finished chatting except Hubby got home from golf and it was time to think about dinner again! Shown above are some of the food renderings and the slumber party group - Rosie, Greta and me - along with Puddin' who was the only male attendee allowed :)

1 comment: